Re: java, Swarm, JDK1.2.2, Solaris 8 and static vs shared libraries

From: Gary Polhill
Subject: Re: java, Swarm, JDK1.2.2, Solaris 8 and static vs shared libraries
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 15:57:31 +0100

So would you suggest I installl the gcc binaries off the CD-ROM (I have an
atypical install locatiion -- will that be OK?), get the latest version of
Swarm from the ftp site and compile that having configured with --enable-shared?

Gary

>>> Marcus G. Daniels <address@hidden> 13/08/01 15:46:40 >>>

GP> A possibly repeat question, but I can't find anything in the
GP> support archives. I have just built Swarm 2.1.1 (a la CD ROM) on a
GP> Solaris 8 machine using gcc-2.95.2 for Sun's JDK-1.2.2

The GCC binaries we distribute for Solaris 7 are configured to use GNU
binutils.  This is so that shared libraries work right with Objective C.
Swarm for Java definitely won't work unless you have working shared libraries.
FYI, I'm using Solaris 8 at work with the current snapshot..