java swarm build problem.

From: Tony Kalus
Subject: java swarm build problem.
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 18:57:47 +0100

Hi.

  I'm having trouble getting java swarm to build properly. I'm using
SuSE Linux 7.1, with gcc-2.95.2, swarm-2.1.1, and jdk-1.3.0_02,
and all the other relevant libraries. After upgrading to this version of
jdk, I went to re-build swarm. (I'm building it in a separate tree from
the swarm source tree).

The configure output looks OK.

However, in several places the make output reports that it can't find
the Java Runtime Environment 2  - so do I need the JRE as well as
the JDK?? If so does it need to go anywhere special for the make
to find it?

Anyway, carrying on, the make check output reported no errors (is
this only checking the C side?), but the make install reported not
finding many class files - presumably because of the above error.

But interestingly, when I look in the swarm/java/swarm directories,
some files have been compiled into class files while others have
not. E.g. for analysis, gui, simtools, and space, none of the files
have been compiled, whilst under the other directories, some have
and some haven't - is this significant? I'm not clear why this should
be so.

Of course, then trying to compile the java heatbugs or mousetrap
results in many compiler errors about things not being found.

However, all the objective C demo apps work perfectly.

My PATH and CLASSPATH are set correctly for JDK as I use
them in other applications without any problems.

I've looked at the FAQ, in particular 3.8 and section 7 and searched
through the mailing list archives to no avail, so that's why I'm
seeking help from this group. Any suggestions/hints/etc. gratefully
received.

  Many Thanks,

     Tony Kalus