Swarm Anarchy (Re: Arborgames model

From: pauljohn
Subject: Swarm Anarchy (Re: Arborgames model
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 08:43:26 -0500

Please embrase anarchy!

ftp://ftp.swarm.org/pub/swarm/src/users-contrib/anarchy/

Arborgames is one of the ones mentioned in the User Guide, I
think, and I'm glad to see it is still there.

Other files in there I find particularly helpful:

sss (swarm sugar scape)
Clupeoids (a boids model, with 2 versions)
bell
village4
IPD (iterated prisoners dilemma)
bell (visually neat)

Many other cool things are there, including my new ElFarol (and
java version JelFarol) and majority, my first swarm program
ever! There is a directory for the ASM release from the SFI
team, which I've updated at ArtStkMkt.sourceforge.net. I
realized looking in here that I've not sent in some applications
that are in my pages, and also I notice some great recent
additions that are on other peoples' home pages have not shown
up here yet.

In anarchy there are also support libraries, such as Sven's
original multiple occupancy grid (a class called MoGrid2d) in
SvenSpaces (I've got updated version of that laying around
somewhere...), A working example of how to write rasters in
batch mode (BatchRaster-990811).  There is a library for
GeneticAlgorithms (look in CW and GM) that is proposed as a
substitute for the Breeder library. And there is the fabulous
logzone for finding memory leaks.  That may be the single best
thing in there.

The problem with anarchy is that to find the really great
things, you wade through a lot of things you can't understand
:)  Not to disparage any particular thing in there, of course,
but some applications are documented with README files better
than others.  I've often proposed we try to have a standardized
format for README files, but then everybody says I'm a
totalitarian and that is the end of it :> (note devilish smile).

Holger Perlt wrote:

> Hello Paul,
>
> where can I find the Arborgames model? In the swarm-apps-2.0.1
> directories
> not?!
>
> Holger

Dept. of Political Science