Re: Activity analyzer?

From: Marcus G. Daniels
Subject: Re: Activity analyzer?
Date: 30 Jan 2002 11:26:15 -0700

WS> If not, is it even possible to deconstruct an Activity or Schedule
WS> to see wht messages are going (supposed to go) where?

I think the easiest thing is to use the xprint and xfprint methods on
Schedules and Activities.  Methods to expose the allocated
sub-activites, merge actions in merge schedules (transitions to
sub-activites) would be tricky to extract from available interfaces.
I've always done that sort of thing from the native debugger (gdb not
jdb) or by tweaking my copy of Swarm.

WS> Has anyone developed a (java) utility class which can be used to look at
WS> what's going on (i.e., what messages are being sent to which objects, etc.)
WS> after an Activity has been created (or what's going to go on after a
WS> Schedule has been created)?

This kind of utility would be quite handy.  The SCHEDULE_INSPECTION
code in Objective C mousetrap and the ScheduleItem widget might provide
some feel for how this could work.  The general implementation of an activity
browser would be considerably more complicated, of course.