Re: Problem with inst.

From: Alex Lancaster
Subject: Re: Problem with inst.
Date: 08 Aug 2002 02:05:45 -0700

>>>>> "zehra" == zehra cagnan <address@hidden> writes:

zehra> Hi all, I am trying to install Swarm 2.2 in Windows ME.  I am
zehra> following the steps prepared by Paul Johnson for installation.
zehra> I installed Cygwin but when I try to run it, a window opens up
zehra> and then closes on its own so I can noy mount the Swarm stuff
zehra> inside Cygwin.

Sounds like a bug in your installation of Cygwin.  If you open the
Cygwin terminal (using the link on the desktop or in the menu created
by Cygwin), you should get a bash shell (i.e a Unix-style 'shell'
where you can type 'ls' or 'cd' to a directory) that shouldn't
immediately close on you.

If you are having problems with this, you should try and re-install
Cygwin (run the 'setup.exe' again), sometimes that can fix things.
Then reinstall Swarm.

zehra> The installation steps are for Win 95. Is this problem due to
zehra> the differences between the Win 95 and Win ME?  What should I
zehra> do??

Cygwin should work fine with Win95 all the way through to WinXP
(including WinME).  If you are still having trouble with the Cygwin
terminal (even before installing Swarm) you should report them to the
Cygwin mailing lists/bug manager, since this is *not* a bug in Swarm.

A.
--
  Alex Lancaster           |
  Swarm Development Group  |     web: http://www.swarm.org