Re: [Swarm-Support] SWARM on OS X

From: Bill Northcott
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Support] SWARM on OS X
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2005 10:06:42 +1100

Just keep watching this list. There will be an announcement in the next few days of a new set of MacOS X packages. These install using Apple's normal package installer and come with basic instructions.

To use Swarm on any platform you need some understanding of C/Objective-C software development. The library packages are simple to install, but then you have to write a model in the Swarm version of Objective-C (or Java). Swarm does many thinks to make the process simpler, such as taking care of memory management but you still need a basic grasp of C and Objective-C.

There are a ton of books and tutorials on C, and the Swarm web site has links to Objective-C and Swarm resources. Avoid any books about Cocoa on MacOS X. Cocoa and Swarm are different dialects of Objective-C and reading about Cocoa will confuse you. Since Swarm uses a lot of the GNU support in MacOS X, books on Linux tend to be helpful, but be aware that shared libraries on the two platforms are quite different.

Bill Northcott