Re: [Synaptic-devel] synaptic wants to install apache but I already have

From: Michael Vogt
Subject: Re: [Synaptic-devel] synaptic wants to install apache but I already have apache-perl
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2004 11:44:46 +0100

Hi Kevin,

sorry for my late reply (christmas time).

On Tue, Dec 21, 2004 at 01:06:14PM -0500, Kevin Murphy wrote:
> I'm using debian testing and synaptic (0.53.4), and I noticed after
> doing a reload of packages and smart marking of all upgrades that
> 'apache' is slated for installation, even though I already have
> apache-perl installed.

This is probably a buggy package that depends on apache directly
instead of httpd or httpd-cgi. My advice would be to add a filter that
filters for all installed packages that depend on apachae. That should
give you the bad apple :)

> I don't know how to determine which package is asking for apache to be
> installed, and I also don't seem to be able to unmark apache; I click on
> the checkbox, choose "unmark", and nothing happens; apache is still
> listed in the 'Marked Changes' filter list.

Yes, this is a problem in the current synaptic/libapt design. We don't
allow broken packages so if the user tries a situation that would
result in a broken depenedency the problem resolver silently overwrite
this. This is a tricky problem :/

thanks,
 Michael