texinfo-devel

Re: Status of SGR codes in man pages vs. overstrike in info browser

From: Gavin Smith
Subject: Re: Status of SGR codes in man pages vs. overstrike in info browser
Date: Sun, 25 May 2014 20:09:26 +0100

On Sun, May 25, 2014 at 7:52 PM, Karl Berry <address@hidden> wrote:
>     many distributions of groff turn this off by
>     default. They instead require the variable GROFF_SGR to be set.
>
> By "many" do you mean "Debian", or do you know that other distros do it
> too?

Slackware does; I assume it got the idea from Debian. (for reference,
ftp://ftp.slackware.com/pub/slackware/slackware-14.1/source/ap/groff/groff.SlackBuild).
I've been planning on reporting a bug with Debian once I have time to
figure out how to.

> For the record, on my CentOS system, I was unable to get ornamented man
> pages in info under any circumstances, using either original GNU groff
> (that I compiled myself from source) or the system groff, or either the
> current development info program or the system info, setting GROFF_SGR
> or not, using --raw-escapes or not, etc. (GROFF_NO_SGR had no visible
> effect either.)
>
> Just plain "man ssh" output is ornamented, though.

Check "man ssh | less" to see what it looks like. If the overstrike
output is being used, you should get bold and underlines. If SGR
output is being used, you should get a load of ugly codes ("man ssh |
less -R" would show bold and underline.)