[Texmacs-dev] Shortcut for "Find next match"

From: Miguel de Benito Delgado
Subject: [Texmacs-dev] Shortcut for "Find next match"
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2011 21:28:45 +0200

Hi,

  this is a followup to my previous post about hidden shortcuts and still related to bug 33131. Following Sam Liddicott's comments in the bug tracker, I'm deciding whether the keyboard shortcut for "Find next" ought to be always active or not.

Why it's a good idea:
  1. Search mode is too easily exited, and having to retype the search string is a real pain.
  2. Sometimes I want to search, edit, then search again. This basically amounts again to: "retyping the search string is a real pain".
Why it (might) not:
  1. The default shortcut under some modes (for instance Emacs) is exactly the same as the shortcut to start a new search, which means that the behaviour in Linux or Mac OS mode would be different (I could "search again" for my old search string, even though I already left search mode). In my opinion this is not a problem, but quite on the contrary how it should be: different environments behave differently
  2. Ideas?
It's pretty obvious which side I'm leaning to, so if someone has any objection this might be the right time before I commit changes to the repository.

Miguel de  Benito.