No sense in re-inventing the wheel if someone already has a solution.
Cheers, Graham ve3gtc
From: Thomas Beierlein [mailto:address@hidden
Sent: September 6, 2011 13:32
To: Collins, Graham; address@hidden
Subject: Re: [Tlf-devel] TLF 1.1.0
thanks for the report. Let me give some comments.
Am Fri, 2 Sep 2011 14:42:17 -0400
schrieb "Collins, Graham"<address@hidden>:
I use Ubuntu 10.04lts and initially had problems with TLF 0.9.x and
was never able to run the app but what I read about TLF intrigued me
and I eventually found the fix and the more recent versions 1.x.x.
Well, the TLF 0.9 series got crippled by the fact that newer glibc
libraries do not tolerate buffer overflows anymore. That was one of
the main reasons to do a TLf 1.0 release.
So far so good. I created a rules file for use in the Ohio QSO party
last weekend and I am quite pleased with TLF and it is suitable
substitute for N1MM for my needs.
The only issue I had with TLF was when I created the Cabrillo log,
TLF truncated the exchange field. The exchange for the QSO party was
the four letter abbreviation for the county (i.e. LAKE). This filed
was truncated to either two or three characters dependent on one of
the other data fields. The full four characters where in the TLF log
so it looks like it is just a simple truncation issue. I may just
take some time to write a little program to convert the TLF log to
One problem are the different cabrillo formats for different contests.
TLF supports only one or two basic formats (WPX if I remember
For the moment I also would suggest an external conversion (maybe by
some AWK magic). If you find a working solution, let us know. I can
add it to the next versions so others can benefit from it.
Someone else mentioned that they desired to have the frequency
logged. This is also one of my desires. The data is available
through hamlib and displayed and in QSO mode (i.e. not Contest
mode) the frequency is put in the TLF log (as the last entry on the
line I think).
That is on the TODO list for next time. But it will request a cmplete
change of the log file format. In dxcc mode there is room in the 80
character log lines, but not in contest mode. So for that to solve we
need to switch to another log format.
I have started to look through the source code to try and get a
better understanding of how the program works and what would be
required to add the frequency to the TLF log in contest mode.
Think also, that you need to reread the data in case you stop and
later restart TLF.
Let us know if you find some way to do it.
73, de Tom DL1JBE.
Cheers, Graham ve3gtc
Tlf-devel mailing list