wesnoth-dev

[Wesnoth-dev] Race descriptions

From: Susanna Björverud
Subject: [Wesnoth-dev] Race descriptions
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 10:53:09 +0200

Hej allesammans,

I think it would be useful to have a description of the various races in help. This would partly be useful/interesting for the players, but more importantly IMO it would force us to define what we think are the salient points of each race, which we then could use as a sort of guiding light for further unit modifications and additions.

Furthermore, I think that we should initially restrict the discussion on these descriptions to the ml, and not bring it to the forum pre-maturely.

As a starting point I have collected a few words that I associate with the various races, but I hesitate to put them into fluent texts. First of all, I am not a native speaker, and second I want your feedback on the desirability of this.

elf: woodsmen, archers, herbalists, agile, magic
wose: slow, flammable, strong
human:great diversity, not sure if can be summed up easily
dwarf:sturdy, technology, slow, mountain
orc: beefy, stiff, poisoned weapons
goblin: small, stiff
undead: unholy, stupid, night
      skeletons - falls apart
      others - burns up
ogre:big, slow, strong, clumsy, sharp tools
merman:swimmer, day
naga:swimmer, slithering, poison(?)
monster:not really any common traits
troll: big, strong, slow, clumsy, blunt/crude weapons, regenerates
drake: fliers, softbellied, flamers
lizard: small, slithering, sneaky, fast

Please note that this is just a quick collection of words to get the ball rolling *smile* (and it was a lot harder than I thought to come up with just these few words...)

So please, any input on this is most welcome.

/Sanna