wesnoth-dev

Re: [Wesnoth-dev] balancing the ulf

From: Jon Daniel
Subject: Re: [Wesnoth-dev] balancing the ulf
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2005 10:59:09 +0200

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 12:51:52 -0400 (EDT)
John McNabb <address@hidden> wrote:

> me four.
>
> On Thu, 14 Apr 2005, Richard Kettering wrote:
>
> > I don't mind seeing him toned down, but as Nils said, I think the
> > current state of berzerk (no berzerk on defense) is very important
> > to  have.
> >
> > It's not terribly consequential for multiplayer, but it is extremely
> >  important for campaigns where the player owns the units, and is
> >  even
> > more so when it is a berzerker the player owns, rather than an
> > ulfzerker.  Wesnoth is unforgiving enough about units dying in
> > campaigns, becoming more so would be a Bad Thing™.
> >
> > In regard to options 2 & 3 - yes, it is perfectly reasonable to have
> >  berserkers cost as much as, if not more than mages.

> > >stats > in multiplayer making them too powerful.  The general
> > >consensus seems > to be that they need to be toned down.  I suggest
> > >their cost should be > raised by 2gp and the hitpoints reduced by
> > >2. >

> > > I do agree that the Ulfserker should be changed. I see some
> > > different ways:
> > > 1) revert berserk abality to the one from 0.8.11 (do not really
> > > like that idea) or
> > > 2) increase its cost and decrease its hitpoints or
> > > 3) increase its cost and decrease other stats (e.g. resitance)
> > > I think we should do the 2nd thing for the next release and have a
> > > look how it is about it than. Though I would prefer option 3). But
> > > this one would need lots of testing, and we do not really have the
> > > time for it. So I would speack infavour of incrasing the ulfs cost
> > > to 20 (maybe even 21?) and decreasing its hitpoints.
> > > CU
> > > Nils Kneuper aka Ivanovic

I think the ulf was fine in 0.8.11 it was a perfect exchange unit.
Since it has no berserk on defense it is way overpowered.
If you decrease hitpoints ulf would be very weak during attack I think
that is not the intended behaviour since the attack was fine before.
With decreased hitpoints he wouldn't be able to kill an Elvish
Fighter. I suggest either reverting it or adding an ability which is the
opposite of steadfast. So if you attack you get half the damage because
the enemy is irritated by the berserk ability and so unable to defend as
good as being attacked by a unit without berserk. In case of defense
Ulf/Berserker takes the usual damage.
This combined with a hitpoint decrease might work. Otherwise I don't see
any chance of the current behaviour without berserking on defense to
satisfy the need of multiplayer games.

Jon Daniel