wesnoth-dev

Re: [Wesnoth-dev] Terrain Help

From: ott
Subject: Re: [Wesnoth-dev] Terrain Help
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 11:49:29 +0200

On Wed, Apr 13, 2005 at 01:52:32PM -0400, James Barton wrote:
> Anyway, as I a sizeable chunk of the bare bones help system we
> currently have in place, I thought I'd offer a bare bones
> implementation of terrain help which I have lying around.

I like these.  In a reversal of my role as en_GB maintainer, here are
some minor edits, mostly to keep the text consistent with the current
en_US usage elsewhere:

> [i]Shallow Water[/i]
> Several feet deep, shallow water is shallow enough for most land units
> to ford, but deep enough to severely hinder movement and defence. Of
> course, it has little impact on flying units, save for the spirits of
> the dead, who are loathe to cross running water.

defence -> defense

> [i]Swamp[/i]
> A morass of sodden soil and bog, cattails and quicksand, swamps are
> treacherous terrain for the majority of units, both hard to move
> through and difficult to defend. Certain aquatic units, however, find
> them very favourable terrain.

favourable -> favorable

> [i]Bridge[/i]
> Spanning across bodies of water, bridges offer both faster movement and
> better defence for land units than attempting to ford, making them key
> strategical points on many maps. Keep in mind that aquatic units can
> swim underneath bridges.

defence -> defense
strategical -> strategic (for consistency with Village)

> [i]Sand[/i]
> Patches of dune and drifting sand, most units find sandy terrain more
> difficult to cover than firm ground, and have poorer defence as well.

defence -> defense

> [i]Road[/i]
> While stone roads tend to follow the easiest route from place to place,
> making them perfect for travellers, they offer little benefit in
> warfare. Units move across roads no faster than across other open
> terrain, and gain no defensive benefit.

travellers -> travelers

> [i]Dirt[/i]
> Whether trampled into dust by constant use or laid bare by blight, Dirt
> offers no real differences to Grassland when it comes to movement or
> defence.

defence -> defense

> [i]Grassland[/i]
> The most common type of open terrain, Grassland is easy for all units
> to move across, though it does not offer much by way of defence.

defence -> defense

> [i]Village[/i]
> Offering both healing to units occupying them and gold to their
> controller, villages are important strategic points on many maps. In
> addition to this, villages offer improved defence for most foot units,
> making them easier to hold than most terrain.

defence -> defense

> [i]Snow Village[/i]
> Offering shelter from the cold and snow around them, snow villages
> offer the usual healing and gold benefits, along with considerably
> improved defence when compared to the surrounding terrain.

defence -> defense

> [i]Hills[/i]
> While more difficult for many units to travel, hills offer better
> defence than open ground, and can be tactically important. They are
> also favoured terrain for Orcs and Dwarves, who move considerably
> faster in them than other races.

defence -> defense
favoured -> favored

> [i]Mountains[/i]
> Steep and rugged terrain, mountains offer superb defence, but at the
> cost of great movement difficulty - most cavalry and heavy infantry
> cannot move in them at all! The primary exception to this is dwarves,
> who are at home in the mountains and are not slowed by them at all.

defence -> defense

> [i]Forest[/i]
> Offering slightly better defence than grassland at the cost of greater
> movement difficulty, forest can be useful for most units, though
> cavalry have difficulty moving and defending in the close-packed trees.
> Elves, on the other hand, are true masters of the forest, both moving
> with ease and gaining exceptional defensive bonuses there.

defence -> defense

> [i]Cave Floor[/i]
> Alternately smooth and rugged, with various dips and rises, stalagmites
> and other interesting features, caves can be pretty places, but are
> also pretty awful places to fight for the majority of surface-dwellers.
> While Dwarves and Orcs are entirely at home in caves, Elves in
> particular suffer in enclosed spaces.
>
> Being underground, cave maps tend to be shrouded, and are almost
> inevitably perpetual night.

Um, "maps...are...perpetual night", something missing here, eg.
"shrouded in" or "blanketed by"?

> [i]Dwarf Village[/i]
> Rising from floor to ceiling in most caverns, dwarf villages offer the
> usual healing and gold benefits, along with better defence for most
> surface dwellers.

defence -> defense

> [i]Castle[/i]
> Stone fortifications, usually old, castles provide good defence for the
> vast majority of units, along with easy movement - assuming someone
> else isn't already occupying one, of course.
>
> Leaders may recruit units onto surrounding castle squares if they
> control the keep.

defence -> defense
squares -> hexes

> [i]Encampment[/i]
> Hasty fortifications thrown up by armies on the move, encampments offer
> similar defence to castles, with the same ease of movement.
>
> Leaders may recruit units onto surrounding encampment squares if they
> control the keep (tent).

defence -> defense
squares -> hexes

> [i]Cave Fort[/i]
> Elaborate fortifications constructed to control entrance to cave
> systems and fortify key points, cave forts offer all the defensive
> benefits of surface castles.
>
> Leaders may recruit units onto surrounding fort squares if they control
> the keep (throne).

squares -> hexes

> [i]Keep[/i]
> The central point of any fortification, keeps vary in design and shape,
> but their purpose is always the same; allowing the leader of an army to
> command units in safety.
>
> Leaders on a keep may recruit units onto surrounding encampment, fort
> or castle squares.

point -> points
squares -> hexes

-- address@hidden