Re: [XForms] Converting fdesign 1.0 .fd file to the new fdformat

From: Jens Thoms Toerring
Subject: Re: [XForms] Converting fdesign 1.0 .fd file to the new fdformat
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2013 13:40:00 +0200

Hi Bill,

On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 05:25:57PM -0700, Bill Unruh wrote:
> I have some programs I developed about 10 years ago with fdesign. I just
> downloaded the new 1.0.93 version of xforms and discover that fdesign no
> longer works ( as well as some of my sliders and my menu items not working
> anymore, but that can be solved by reading the new documentation I assume).

Well, the menus still are supposed to work without any changes (as
long as no undocumented shortcuts have been taken). Thus I would
definitely be interested in what's going wrong there in order to
be able to fix it.

> But if I want to change things using fdesign, it seems to be impossible. I
> get a message saying that the .fd file was created by an old version
> (ignore)

Yes, that's just an information to make it clear that newly created
.fd files wont work with older versions.

> and that the key value is invalid in one of the items (ignore) but
> ehn all I get is black blank screen and the fdesign creation window. How can
> I convert the old fdesign .fd to the new one? Pleas do not say "redo
> everything". This must have been a problem when the change happened (6 years
> ago?) and some way of getting around it developed.

Would you be able to send me your .fd file? I guess there's some
bug somewhere (and fdesign is rather bug-ridden and extremely
hard to understand:-( and some examples that exhibit the problem
would help a lot.

But please note that due to very limited time at th moment I can't
make promises when I will get around to fixing this (and other bugs
in fdesign) - I hope that in two months time there will be a chance...

                          Best regards, Jens