xlog-discussion

Re: [Xlog-discussion] design of the score window

From: Alexandru Csete
Subject: Re: [Xlog-discussion] design of the score window
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2005 17:54:35 +0100

Hello,

On 12/28/05, Joop Stakenborg <address@hidden> wrote:
> Attached is a screenshot of the score window which will hopefully be added
> to the next release. It keeps track of worked and confirmed DXCC countries
> and CQ zones in the logs that are opened. I have also moved the DXCC and
> locator frames to this window, so we have all information in one place.

This looks really good!

> Do we need just one DXCC row in the bottom-right list, or do we need
> things like DXCC-CW, DXCC-SSB and DXCC-mixed?

To begin with I think it is fine with one row.
In the long run, however, I would love to have both split by mode and
mixed/total, also for WAZ and WAC - I'm crazy about statistics. Maybe
one could use a notebook with one page per mode and the front page
showing the mixed mode.

> What about the number of bands, should 50 Mhz be included or even more bands?

I'm no VHF man yet but think people doing regular VHF/UHF are more
interested in the number of grid squares rather than the number of
DXCC countries worked. On the other hand, those doing EME and
satellites may be interested in the number of countries as well.

> What about modes, should we add RTTY and more modes?

For the upper list I would prefer to have the same list of modes as I
have in the option menu for mode selection. Then there could be some
standard fallback list for those who do not use the option menu for
mode selection.

> I guess the rows to be displayed could be made configurable (I would
> myself only be interested in CW contacts), do we want this?

Of course :)
Configurable options with clever default settings are always good but
a lot of work for the author.

By the way, some time ago I have found a little misbehaviour in xlog.
When opening many logs so that the notebook page titles do not fit in
the window anymore, the window width is increased even beyond the
screen limits. There is an alternative, which makes the notebook tabs
"scrollable" that is when the titles become too wide  not all notebook
pages are displayed, instead two small scrolling-arrows appear in the
top corner of the notebook. It's done with
gtk_notebook_set_scrollable.

Looking forward to test the new statistics code. Let us know when
there is something testable in CVS :)

73
Alex
OZ9AEC