xlog-discussion

Re: [Xlog-discussion] design of the score window

From: Joop Stakenborg
Subject: Re: [Xlog-discussion] design of the score window
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 09:56:29 +0100

Op wo, 28-12-2005 te 17:54 +0100, schreef Alexandru Csete:

> To begin with I think it is fine with one row.
> In the long run, however, I would love to have both split by mode and
> mixed/total, also for WAZ and WAC - I'm crazy about statistics. Maybe
> one could use a notebook with one page per mode and the front page
> showing the mixed mode.

That's a good idea. I was worried about space issues in the score
window, but when we use a notebook there is no problem at all!

> > What about the number of bands, should 50 Mhz be included or even more
> > bands?
>
> I'm no VHF man yet but think people doing regular VHF/UHF are more
> interested in the number of grid squares rather than the number of
> DXCC countries worked. On the other hand, those doing EME and
> satellites may be interested in the number of countries as well.

Okay, maybe it's okay to include 50 MHz, but who will want to work 100
countries in 2 meters anyway... :-)
It would be better to add grid square statistics per band, so we should
add a list dedicated to VHF/UHF qso's.

> > What about modes, should we add RTTY and more modes?
>
> For the upper list I would prefer to have the same list of modes as I
> have in the option menu for mode selection. Then there could be some
> standard fallback list for those who do not use the option menu for
> mode selection.

Have to think about this. There will be a configuration dialog for the
score window, so we don't really have to use the option menu strings.

> > I guess the rows to be displayed could be made configurable (I would
> > myself only be interested in CW contacts), do we want this?
>
> Of course :)
> Configurable options with clever default settings are always good but
> a lot of work for the author.

I might want to start out with a simple score window and go from there.
We can always add features with future releases.

> By the way, some time ago I have found a little misbehaviour in xlog.
> When opening many logs so that the notebook page titles do not fit in
> the window anymore, the window width is increased even beyond the
> screen limits. There is an alternative, which makes the notebook tabs
> "scrollable" that is when the titles become too wide  not all notebook
> pages are displayed, instead two small scrolling-arrows appear in the
> top corner of the notebook. It's done with
> gtk_notebook_set_scrollable.

Thanks for the hint. I will take a look at it.

> Looking forward to test the new statistics code. Let us know when
> there is something testable in CVS :)

Thanks for your comments!

> 73
> Alex