ada-mode-users

Re: Creating tarballs for ada-mode and wisi from the git repository?

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: Creating tarballs for ada-mode and wisi from the git repository?
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2020 16:02:24 -0800

Simon Wright <address@hidden> writes:

> On 31 Mar 2020, at 16:22, Ludovic Brenta <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> With a view to possibly create Debian packages for wisi and
>> ada-mode (don't hold your breath), I cloned the git repository
>> into /var/lib/git/adamode and created workspaces for all the
>> branches as per git_checkout.sh.
>>
>> I do have an ada-mode branch and workspace but no wisi branch
>> or workspace, only org.wisitoken.
>>
>> In the wisi-3.0.1.tar on ELPA I see a mixture of files from
>> org.wisitoken and org.emacs.ada-mode branches.
>>
>> I am wondering how I should try and create a
>> wisi_3.0.1.orig.tar.gz and an ada-mode_7.0.1.orig.tar.gz,
>> which are prerequisites for Debian packages, from the git
>> repository.
>
> org.emacs.ada-mode/build/Makefile has rules for creating a (local)
> ELPA archive.

That requires an elpa checkout first; it uses the elpa Makefile.

> There are notes at the start of the Makefile about the code not yet
> being as clean as it could be.

Really old notes :).

> But, I'm not sure that the wisi part is necessary for a prebuilt
> Debian package? It (& the sal, makerules workspaces) are needed for
> the build; the executables and ada_lr1_parse_table.txt would end in
> the compiler's $prefix/bin, & the .el/.elc where Emacs will find them.

Ah; the Debian packages would provide prebuilt executables. I guess that
makes sense.

wisitoken-bnf-generate is provided by the wisi package; required either
to patch the ada-mode grammar or to work on a different grammar.

But Simon is correct that the ada-mode binary package would not require
the wisi binary package (assuming it only provides executables, and not
a compiled devel library).

--
-- Stephe