Re: [Adonthell-devel] Python 3.0

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] Python 3.0
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 15:14:36 +0100

On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 2:57 PM, Andrew Phillips <address@hidden> wrote:

> My apologies for not responding sooner. I looked over the release notes.
> There was a note in there that 3.0 is deliberately not backward compatible
> with 2.x. I don't know how drastically they changed the core language. There
> are some things that probably aren't going to matter to us, such as changing
> print to require the same syntax as a function call, rather than working
> either as a function or a built-in statement.

The biggest issue might be that change that all strings are now
unicode. Not sure if that will bite us, since we're only using ASCII
characters anyway.

I would try and compile stuff myself with the new versions, but I'm a
bit reluctant to do so on the Mac, as I want to produce binaries with
the libs that come with the default installation. Not sure if I can
get hold of my wifes laptop long enough to fire up Ubuntu and try ...

Besides, my todo list is long enough as is ;-).

Kai