Re: conversion to git

From: Ralf Corsepius
Subject: Re: conversion to git
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2007 07:30:26 +0200

On Wed, 2007-09-19 at 21:01 -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:

> I think in practice adoption drives portability more than the other way
> around.  I don't think CVS became popular because it was portable;
Well, I think it became popular, because it had been and still IS lean,
simple to use/administrate and matches the demands of most projects.

This doesn't necessarily apply to many other so-called "more advanced"
SCMs. Some have portability issues, some are arkward to
install/administrate, some have usability issues, some are immature,
etc. ..., and what most of these deny, .... many projects don't actually
need the "advanced features" these SCM's promise to provide.

> You're right that all these new systems are exotic or complicated compared
> to CVS.
Right, but ... we will see if autoconf won't regret this move to git.

IMO, this step at this point in time was premature.