Re: AC_CHECK_FUNCS and gcc with -Werror

From: Peter Breitenlohner
Subject: Re: AC_CHECK_FUNCS and gcc with -Werror
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2010 16:11:50 +0100 (CET)

On Wed, 3 Mar 2010, Steffen Dettmer wrote:

ohh sorry, I expressd myself wrongly. As I already wrote Eric,
for us it does not matter how -Werror is switched internally,
only that it is set within Makefile.

Hi Steffen,

(1) one way to do that is to append -Werror to CFLAGS after doing all sorts
of tests in configure.ac.  The tests always use the current value of CFLAGS.

(2) as noted by others, appending a mandatory(?) flag to CFLAGS is a bad
idea (and contradicts the GNU coding standards).  CFLAGS is one of the
variables passed from configure to Makefile that can also be specified on
the Make command line, i.e., `is reserved for the user'.

Regards
Peter Breitenlohner <address@hidden>