Re: Mangled argument vector choking on spaces?

From: Kip Warner
Subject: Re: Mangled argument vector choking on spaces?
Date: Fri, 02 Jan 2015 15:28:06 -0800

On Fri, 2015-01-02 at 16:06 -0700, Eric Blake wrote:
> While paths with spaces in them may be a fact of reality, they are
> non-portable according to POSIX.  It is going to be an uphill battle if
> you want to submit patches to make autoconf automatically handle file
> names with spaces, as there is nothing portable about them.

We all agree they're not portable. We also all agree autoconf is
intended to generate portable configure scripts.

If this were ever patched, it would probably involve some clever way of
distinguishing spaces in paths from argument separators in the argument
vector. The only way I can see this ever happening is if argument
vectors were prepared through higher level functions, such as M4 macros,
with different functions to distinguish the two semantics.

--
Kip Warner -- Senior Software Engineer
OpenPGP encrypted/signed mail preferred