Re: Mangled argument vector choking on spaces?

From: David A. Wheeler
Subject: Re: Mangled argument vector choking on spaces?
Date: Mon, 05 Jan 2015 17:17:07 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 03 Jan 2015 15:37:14 -0800, Paul Eggert <address@hidden> wrote:

> David A. Wheeler wrote:
> > E.g. when using AC_CHECK_PROG to search for "sbcl", the generated makefile
> > would say:
> > SBCL = sbcl
>
> That's easy to do without changing Autoconf.  Put this in configure.ac:
>
> AC_CHECK_PROG([SBCL], [sbcl], [sbcl], [false])

Fair point.  I've reflexively been using AC_PATH_PROG, but in my case
AC_CHECK_PROG
is the better choice.

I think the autoconf documentation should encourage its users to *NOT* embed
full pathnames
if they can avoid them, e.g., they should be encouraged to use AC_CHECK_PROG
instead of
AC_PATH_PROG. Then spaces-in-directories would bite users (builders) less often.

It'd still be good to have a solution for spaces-in-directories.

--- David A. Wheeler