Re: [avr-chat] AVR Dragon

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] AVR Dragon
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 20:52:27 +0100 (MET)

"larry barello" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Yes, I used it to develop a mega88 application.  Works great.

Well, you have to be aware of a number of pitfalls which lie in the
nature of debugWire.  There are occasional threads on avrfreaks.net
about that.

Fortunately, with the AVR Dragon you've got a HV-capable programming
platform as well, so you could at least reanimate any dead AVR. ;-)

> It doesn't support JTAG on devices > 32k -

It doesn't support JTAG *debugging* on those devices.  JTAG
programming *is* supported for all AVRs.  I don't know about AVR
Studio (perhaps there's still some odd section in the XML file that
might be missing for that), but I've successfully programmed an
ATmega2561 using AVRDUDE.

> which is weird since there are no local memory limitations (unless
> JTAG v2 operates differently than the earlier one).  Maybe they will
> remove that restriction soon.

Unlikely to happen.  This restriction is a purely `political' one: the
Dragon is not supposed to become competition for the `real' JTAG ICEs.