Re: [avr-chat] JTAG Debug

From: Graham Davies
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] JTAG Debug
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2008 12:44:34 -0500

Sid Price wrote:
Does the ICE-Cube support the mega164,324,644?

I did receive your enquiry at my Web site, but I might as well answer here. The definitive way to find out would be to fire up the latest AVR Studio (4.14 the last time I looked), start a project with the JTAGICE Mk I and look in the device list. But, due to an IT crisis (the computer I run my virtual machines on has crashed), I don't have 4.14 installed right now. (For stability reasons, the version I run outside of virtual machines is an older one. Recall that you can't have multiple versions of AVR Studio installed together.)

On the Atmel Web site, the JTAGICE Mk I is *not* listed for this family of devices. Taking that and their relative newness together, I would be 99% certain that the JTAGICE Mk I, and therefore my AVR ICE-Cube, do *not* support the ATmega164P family.

You also asked about the Dragon Rider. The ATmega164P family has the same pinout as the ATmega16/ATmega32, so they would drop into the 40-pin target socket. But, will the AVR Dragon work with them? Again, firing up AVR Studio would give the answer, if I could do it. The Atmel Web site does not list AVR Dragon support for these parts. Nor does it list these parts under "Related Devices:" on the AVR Dragon page. AVR Studio 4.12 SP4 doesn't either, but that's quite old now. My guess is that AVR Dragon support is either there, and Atmel haven't updated the Web site, or it will appear at some future point in time.

Sorry about the half-baked answer.

Graham.
http://www.ecrostech.com