Re: [avr-chat] ATmega164P/324P/644P and Dragon Rider (was JTAG Debug)

From: Graham Davies
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] ATmega164P/324P/644P and Dragon Rider (was JTAG Debug)
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 08:52:24 -0500

Sid Price wrote (in part):
Any plans for an updated ICE-Cube
for JTAG MKII compatibility?

No, I'm afraid not. The AVR ICE-Cube is possible because the design of the Atmel Mk I was (intentionally or not) open. That is, you can find schematics for it on the Web and its manner of operation is well known. This is not true of the Mk II. To "clone" the Mk II would require a lot of reverse engineering and the result would be of dubious legality unless this was done "double blind". With the cost of parts for the Mk II, this would put the price of the clone up around half the cost of the real thing, so the savings would not be so compelling. Finally, a lot of the ground covered by the Mk II is covered by the $52 AVR Dragon. So, to repeat myself, no, I don't have any such plans.

P.S. Your Dragon Rider is in the mail.