Re: [avr-chat] JTAG Debug

From: David VanHorn
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] JTAG Debug
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2008 17:42:38 -0500

> The implication is that the AVR Tools Group, which is the "owner" of
> all the hardware tools (AVR Dragon, STK500, STK600, JTAG ICE etc.)
> considers AVR Studio to be their only supported way of handling the
> tools, including the documentation for them, and including firmware
> upgrades.  They want a single package to maintain, and it's their
> believe providing a Windows-only package is sufficient for all the AVR
> user.

Apparently also included in that belief system is that everyone works in C.

I pretty much gave up on AVR development with their tools, after
hitting a wall with them last fall.
Basically, something like this:

R16=0 at this point
ldi r16,$AA
R16 still = 0

Plus other more entertaining problems.
It's across the board for me, multiple computers, multiple ICEs,
ICE-50, Jtag-ice, even the MkII.
Multiple chips, M128, M8...

Just thinking about it raises my BP again.

The CHIPS are fine, but the tools blow.