Re: [avr-gcc-list] avr-gcc credibility

From: Marlin Unruh
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] avr-gcc credibility
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 22:45:03 -0600

At 10:41 PM 7/31/2002 -0500, you wrote:
Wasn't it 29-Jul-2002, at 02:31PM, when Marlin Unruh said:
> I have a business partner that thinks we need to purchase our compiler. He
> thinks because avr-gcc is free it must therefore be inferior, or as he puts
> it "non standard". How can I convince him it not?

No compiler is "standard" (I'm assuming he's not talking about language
standards.) If he's looking for a popular compiler though, GCC is very
popular since it has been ported to many processors and platforms. I've
used GCC, for instance, to build applications for i386-FreeBSD,
i386-NetBSD, m68k-PalmOS, AVR, PowerPC-VxWorks, and i386-Linux machines.

> I realize feelings, and opinions could run deep on this subject, so all I
> would like is some facts, or convincing arguments for arv-gcc...... Just a
> few solid points will do.

Actually, your partner's "facts" are really just his opinions.

> I'm not a compiler guru, but I am impressed with gcc-avr. I've been using
> it for over a year. You don't need to convince me.

If you are the primary developer and have used the compiler for a year and
you feel, with your experience, that AVR-GCC can do the job, what other
reason does he need? Buying a commercial compiler would require you to
familiarize yourself with the new tools which would make you less
efficient. Learning the strengths and weaknesses of a compiler takes time.

Also, what commercial compiler can respond to bug fixes as fast as Marek
does? What commercial compiler has a forum, like this one, where people are
polite and quick to help out?

The only thing I can't comment on is how well GDB helps in debugging an AVR
application. From what I've read on this list, it shouldn't be a problem,
but I have no direct experience with it.

Hope this helps! Good luck!

--
 Rich Neswold

 efax: 1.240.536.7092