[avr-gcc-list] avr-gcc credibility

From: Marlin Unruh
Subject: [avr-gcc-list] avr-gcc credibility
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2002 14:31:03 -0600

Hi,

I have a business partner that thinks we need to purchase our compiler. He thinks because avr-gcc is free it must therefore be inferior, or as he puts it "non standard". How can I convince him it not?

One argument is that Atmel worked with IAR in the silicon development stage of the AVR, so they would have the best handle on the compiler for it.

I realize feelings, and opinions could run deep on this subject, so all I would like is some facts, or convincing arguments for arv-gcc...... Just a few solid points will do.

I'm really busy, so I probably wouldn't have much time to reply, but I sure will read my e-mail.

I'm not a compiler guru, but I am impressed with gcc-avr. I've been using it for over a year. You don't need to convince me.

Marlin