Re: [avr-gcc-list] r-engineering the JTAG-ICE protocol

From: Karl Ran
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] r-engineering the JTAG-ICE protocol
Date: Sat, 05 Oct 2002 15:56:39 +0000

Hi Jesper,

I've been thinking of the same thing. Haven't started yet, but are
considering buying a JTAGICE so I can hack it.

Yep: buy it, r-engineer it, dump it.....:(

The protocols is as you say synchronous, so a simple program
could be written on a mega16x or 8515 to log all the communication
between the ICE and the CPU being debugged.

There are 4 signals for the TAP controller:
TMS its a 3 bit mode selector :-/
TCK clock
TDI data in
TDO data out

Or, if it's too fast, the good old way with a storage scope works
too.

JTAG port bitrate can be 50, 100, 200 kHz.
We could use software polling or maybe a SPI port(s)...

A first step probably would be to write a little prog. to dump the JTAG traffic to a host computer via RS232...

Karl