[avr-gcc-list] compatiblity between gcc, binutils and avr-libcd

From: Marvin Dickens
Subject: [avr-gcc-list] compatiblity between gcc, binutils and avr-libcd
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 00:54:29 -0400

Hello,

I recently upgraded from gcc 2.9 for the avr and during the process, I found that I could not find consistent information that described version compatibility between the different tools in the avr tool chain. To make a long story short, I could not find a single source of up-to-date information that described this issue and I had to play around with a couple of different versions of the various tools to get a tool chain that would compile and most importantly, play nicely with the other tools in the chain. My new avr tool chain works great and in my case, figuring out the version thing was not that big a deal. But, users new to Linux (Or UNIX or programming...) would most likely have problems.

Does anyone on this list know of a single source or document that describes which versions of gcc, binutils and avr-libc work well together in an avr tool chain?

Best regards

Marvin Dickens
Alpharetta, Georgia  USA