[avr-gcc-list] RE: internal error: out of range error

From: Dafni & Robert Berger
Subject: [avr-gcc-list] RE: internal error: out of range error
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2004 16:35:21 +0300

Erik wrote:

>No worries. (I'm considering moving from 100% assembler to some C, so it
>was interesting to see if there is anything scary in using custom linker
>scripts with avr-gcc.)

You should definitely do so.
I've done this step quite a few years ago and nowadays I use assembly only
where really needed.
I do all the rest in C.
You are lucky to start using C with avr-gcc, since it is a quite decent
environment. (I've seen others,
yes also commercial ones, which would make you return to assembly quite
soon)
In my little project I'm using avr-gcc since the 302 days and took all the
stony path to 341.
Interestingly enough the only serious gcc porting problems I had were with
assembly code.
Now I rewrote even this assembly code as much as possible in C and have no
further problems so far.

Another step you should make, if you didn't do it already in assembly, is to
use a real time operating system.
Once you get used to the concept, it can greatly simplify your work and make
your software easily extensible.
If you don't use an RTOS, you might add a new feature to your software and
all the system goes to hell.

Regards,

Robert