Re: [avr-gcc-list] agv-gcc with AVR Studio 4

From: E. Weddington
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] agv-gcc with AVR Studio 4
Date: Thu, 09 Dec 2004 11:54:40 -0700

Graham Davies wrote:

"E. Weddington"  wrote:

AFIAK, those "projects" under AVR Studio are
for assmbler projects using Atmel's assembler.
They have nothing to do with C/C++ projects being
built by a 3rd party compiler.

It does turn out that once you've loaded an extended COFF from GCC into AVR
Studio, it creates and stores a project.  You can later reload that project
and AVR Studio obediently reloads the COFF and puts you in the debugger
ready to roll.

While I'm on the subject, if you rebuild the COFF in GCC and switch to the
AVR Studio window, it notices the new file and offers to load it for you.  I
was stunned at how well WinAVR and AVR Studio work together.

Oh! Well that's new to me. Probably because I don't use AVR Studio....

FYI, Debugging in AVR Studio using COFF files are now deprecated. AVR Studio 4.10 has a new ELF/DWARF2 parser (in beta) that can be used to debug ELF files (normally generated by GCC) that contain DWARF2 debugging info. Use the latest WinAVR to build an ELF file with DWARF2 debugging info (it normally generates "stabs" debugging info). See the WinAVR README for more information.