Re: [avr-gcc-list] ATmega256x support

From: Martijn van Balen
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] ATmega256x support
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 09:34:21 +0100

On 2006-01-24 17:52:57 Uwe Fechner wrote:

>Your patch looks trivial.
>
>Is changing one line of code of avr.c really all that needs to be done
>to make avr-gcc support three bytes per call as return adress?

It seems to be. I've discussed this here before. The only case this

matters is functions with a large number of parameters. In this case
parameter are pushed on the stack before the call. In the function itself,
the distance between the SP and those parameters depends on the size
of the PC on the stack (2 vs 3 bytes in this case).

A "cleaner" solution might be to introduce an "avr6" architecture for
the 3-bytes PC types. I didn't do this for two reasons
  1) I'm lazy
  2) I noticed a wish to leave the avr1-avr5 structure all together because
       it's an arbitrary partioning, not in sync with Atmel's partioning of device
       types.

>I will add your patch to my patch-set, but I am not shure, when I find
>the time to test it (I must order samples of ATmega2561 first).

Are you referring to the "official" patch-set ? If so, where do I find this ?
My patch now overlaps a bit with other initiatives (and it's based on an
older tool-set).

Kind regards,
Martijn.