Re: [avr-gcc-list] Avr-gcc Produces Incorrect Code with -Os

From: hutchinsonandy
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Avr-gcc Produces Incorrect Code with -Os
Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 15:05:23 -0400

Eric,

The problem with the function is typical housekeeping overhead gets wrapped up.

To take a silly example:

Say you want to send some message to ISR (via memory) using critical function

critical void function(int *buffer, int *cValue)
{
*cValue++ = *buffer++;
}

Getting *buffer++ does not need ISR disabled. Perhaps neither does the cValue++;

So this method, although not wrong, is something I would normally reject for time critical systems, where latency is key. Inline coding has less overhead but even then its not perfect - though perhaps more palatable than assembler.

I do not know much about the gcc atomic operations. But it might be worth reviewing. There may be some hooks that make it work well with optimisations without adding a bunch of code hacks. Also it makes code more portable (Atmel ARM or course!)

Andy