Re: [avr-gcc-list] Avr-gcc Produces Incorrect Code with -Os

From: David Brown
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Avr-gcc Produces Incorrect Code with -Os
Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 11:32:46 +0200

I think this is getting *way* off-topic for this list. However, it seems there are a number of people on the list who are interested in the thread. Perhaps it should move to avr-chat?

Scott and Roxanne Munns wrote:
David,

I agree that this is a "point of view" thing.  And I will admit that most of
my embedded programming (Coldfire, not AVR) is spent doing C++ programming,
so that may make my view more data-centric than code-centric.

I know that you understand the "critical section" issue, and you are able to
state its requirements much more eloquently than I can.  I would trust your
ability to recognize critical section issues and solve them properly,
whether you think about them in a data-centric way or in a code-centric way.
However, I am amazed how many embedded programmers *don't* understand how to
work with critical sections.  Some developers I have talked to seem to
interpret critical sections as "if some *code* can be executed in two
different contexts, it needs a critical section to handle it".

I too am sometimes amazed at the lack of thought and understanding some developers have - although I have more often seen too little thought given to critical sections and other protection, than too much. A common example is code writing messages to a screen called from both main loops and interrupts in the same system.

I can't say I've seen code using critical sections just because the code section is called from two different places in the program, but that could just be my luck. Perhaps you've come across people who are used to programming for the PIC and other small micros where compilers often generate non-reentrant code (local variables are statically allocated instead of on the stack), and the programmers are thus extra paranoid.

Maybe if you're talking about two threads accessing a shared code path, and
that code path is also changing the state of shared data objects, that is
correct.  If the developer always protects any shared code paths, the code
will probably be safe in its code sequences, just very slow.

On AVR, at least without an OS installed, there are no threads.  There are
only contexts: mainline code context and interrupt contexts.  Depending on
how the developer writes the code, it is possible that no code may get
shared between contexts, only data.  Ideally, the developer should use
shared functions to modify shared data objects and keep them in a coherent
state, but there is no guarantee they will do that.  They may just clone
code between the interrupt function and the mainline code.  Now there is no
"shared code path".

In my opinion, that is the possible flaw of thinking in a code-centric way.
The developer may think there is no risk (no overlapping code paths), when
the data is actually at risk.

If the developer is thinking in those lines, then he does not understand the issues at hand. As you say, there is no need to protect code sequences themselves (unless you are dealing with non-reentrant code that can be called from different contexts) - the purpose is ultimately to protect the data.

Exclusively using shared functions to modify shared data is *not* ideal - it is very far from ideal on small systems looking for optimal code, and it is seldom ideal on larger systems. It certainly has advantages in some situations - in this case, you only have a small number of code sections that need locks or other types of protection, so it is hard to get wrong. But it can often lead to larger or slower code, and it can lead to at least two fundamental misunderstandings.

First, if you think you can make your code safe for multi-threading (or other multiple context access) by protecting individual data objects, you will have problems when you need to protect sequences of access. It can be useful having a "queue" class with atomic "push" and "pop" classes, but it's easy then to forget that "q1.push(q2.pop())" is not atomic - you still need locks around the code sequence.

Secondly, if you believe too strongly in your "protected data items" approach, you'll forget that all sorts of other resources are shared and need protecting. It's common to see code that is very careful about protecting access to a shared queue - and then happily calls printf() or similar functions from multiple contexts.

There is probably a corollary to this for a data-centric way of thinking.
Perhaps thinking that the get/set operations need critical sections, and
forgetting that the in-between code sequences that modify a data object are
also a vital part of maintaining overall data object coherency.  In other
words, don't "drop the lock" until you're done modifying the data object!

Correct - that's why it is the *code sequence* that has the lock, not the data object.

However, if you are using an OS with mutexes, semaphores, and other locks (rather than the global "disable interrupts" lock), it's important that you use the correct lock in the correct place. I certainly don't mean to imply that you use a particular lock for a sequence of code accessing some data, and a different lock for a different sequence of code accessing the same data!

Either way, it comes down to training a developer about critical sections
and making sure they really understand the core issues.  I guess I've been
disappointed on that front up to this point.

I guess as I ponder this issue, I am struggling to see which critical
section primitives should be provided as "base GCC+avr-libc" independent of
any OS, and which should be provided by an OS on top of the basic toolset.
Do you have any ideas for guidelines we can use to choose which ones belong
in each category?

Personally, I think all that is really needed is a clear and fast way to ensure that a section of code is run with interrupts disabled, and with the interrupt state restored at the end. It's up to the OS to provide higher level locks, probably implemented using this disable interrupt primitive. For those that are not using an OS, or only using a very simple one, something like a "critical" or "monitor" function attribute is sufficient.

mvh.,

David