Re: [avr-gcc-list] crosstool-NG

From: Georg-Johann Lay
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] crosstool-NG
Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2011 18:37:10 +0100

Weddington, Eric schrieb:

-----Original Message----- From: Omar Choudary

I am on if I can help getting the tools together. As I proposed on
the avr-freaks forum I would like to see avr-gcc + patches merging
into the common gcc branch.

Many patches cannot go into mainline GCC because their authors have not assigned a GPL copyright assignment. This means that patches' functionality has to be rewritten by GPL-proof authors. I know, it's kind of annoying and doubling the amount of work, but that's the rule of the game...

Omar, I'm now working on just that.

Great. Iknow that supporting gcc is much work, my respect for that!

But definitely more needs to be done than just that.

Yes, definitely.

Besides that, I was astonished that fixing bugs resp. backporting them is unwanted by GCC's avr backend maintainers. Would be great if you would shed some light on that so I can understand it. How should we get rid of bugs if not by fixing them?

Johann