Re: [avr-gcc-list] Living With Atmel Studio 6.0

From: Dave Harper
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Living With Atmel Studio 6.0
Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2012 10:54:05 -0500

On 8/9/2012 9:42 AM, David Kelly wrote:
I think its time to start a new thread leveraged off another:
Good idea - the other thread was getting cluttered with posts that had nothing to do with the original topic.
Forget the editor, just get the debugger right.
I agree completely.

So asking of others suffering with AS6, what SVN client do you use? Am thinking I should advance from TortoiseSVN running outside of the dreaded VS10 shell to something integrated.
I started out with the XMega128 about 10 years ago. Studio and WinAVR were the main tools. I've always done source editing outside of any IDE since I've used many different programming languages depending on what I'm working on. Things have evolved for me since I first started with the AVR and the current project uses an AT91SAM7X512, three Mega164Ps and 18 XMega32As. A test environment that drives the project uses an additional three Mega32U4s and an XMega64A3. Talk about a mix of development tools! For the ARM it's Eclipse which I use for compiling and debugging. For the Mega164Ps and XMega32As I still use Studio 4.18 since that was what I started the project with. The test environment doesn't use Studio at all - I use WinAVR on the command line and debug with a logic analyzer. When I started the project I switched to SVN and used the plugin for Eclipse as the ARM was the first code developed. When I started the code for the Mega164P I switched to TortoiseSVN across the project and that has worked out well - especially since all edits are done outside the IDE. I tried AS5 when it first came out and thought it was so slow it was unusable. I have AS6 installed now, along with a JTAGICE3 for programming and debug, and will likely use that on any new projects. It seems like throughout my career nothing has been more dynamic than the tools I've used. Virtually every time I start a project the first thing that needs to be done is to re-evaluate the current tools and put together a new set that will get the job done.

Dave