[avr-gcc-list] EF_AVR_LINKRELAX_PREPARED bit in e_flags

From: Vidya Praveen
Subject: [avr-gcc-list] EF_AVR_LINKRELAX_PREPARED bit in e_flags
Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2012 15:31:06 +0530

Hi

This is to do with binutils but I believe it's OK to discuss it here since it's
more AVR ABI related.

At present, we use first 7 bits (bits 0-6) of e_flags of the ELF header for
specifying the "arch" (ISA variation) and the 8th bit (bit 7) is used for
EF_AVR_LINKRELAX_PREPARED to indicate that the object file uses local symbols as
reference. The remaining bits are unused.

I am trying to introduce a new series for Tiny core. As I see 0xx series is used
for Mega and 1xx series is used for XMega now. If I have to have 200 series  for
Tiny, I need to move the EF_AVR_LINKRELAX_PREPARED to a different position.

I know this will cause binary incompatibility with older versions, But I propose
that we move this to 31st bit (e_flags is of type ELF32_Word).

Comments?

Regards
VP