Re: [avr-gcc-list] EF_AVR_LINKRELAX_PREPARED bit in e_flags

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] EF_AVR_LINKRELAX_PREPARED bit in e_flags
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2012 20:55:56 +0200 (MET DST)

Hi Vidya,

> I am trying to introduce a new series for Tiny core. As I see 0xx
> series is used for Mega and 1xx series is used for XMega now. If I
> have to have 200 series for Tiny, I need to move the
> EF_AVR_LINKRELAX_PREPARED to a different position.

> I know this will cause binary incompatibility with older versions,
> But I propose that we move this to 31st bit (e_flags is of type
> ELF32_Word).

Well, binary incompatibility is always bad, so I would avoid it.

Given that only very few "arch" numbers are actually used only so far,
I don't think sacrificing bit 7 is really necessary.  How about
placing the arch numbers for the tiny core series somewhere below the
Xmega numbers?  If I'm not mistaken, so far we have

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
25, 31, 35, 51 (which are derivatives of the former)
101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107

As it is unlikely the old core will get any further development
(beyond the 6), the number space above 69 is certainly not going to be
used, ever.  So assigning the number space 8x/9x to the tiny core(s)
should be safe.