Re: [avrdude-dev] Win 32 port

From: Lou Cypher
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] Win 32 port
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 16:23:14 +0100

On 17 Feb 2004 at 13:46, Jan-Hinnerk Reichert wrote:

> They are used in the CVS-code in usecPerfDelay() in "ppiwin.c". They
> seem to work very stable. The only problem is, that they might not be
> available on all hardware.

Maybe it largely depends on the kind of hardware: maybe with NT embedded on a
PC-104 form factor board, while they should be on any desktop system.

I read, from that second application link I mentioned:
"[...]
September 26, 1996
  [...]
  Note that QueryPerformanceFrequency will return FALSE if the hardware does
not support the performance counter. It's unlikely that this will be the case
in any machine capable of running Windows 95, but I don't know this for a
fact. You may want to have a fallback routine that uses timeGetTime instead."

If the target is for older systems, it just can use a double methode for
delays, checking first if that timer exists.
If the system has no reliable delay, under a minimal amount of time (i.e.
Windows 95 under a heavy load), then it can only be "slow".

In case Sleep() isn't reliable on Windows 2000, maybe you could roll your
own, using that timeGetTime() and a proper loop -- but if the high-resolution
timer was "unlikely to not exist" on a a W95 system, it surely is less than
unlikely to miss in the requirements for a 5 years older O.S., IMHO.

I found this, with Google, on that subject:
  http://lists.wxwindows.org/archive/wx-users/msg22912.html
and it makes sense to me, that pre-Pentium system could have been missing
that timer (a processor built-in feature), so I would presume that if someone
dares to install W2K on a '486, well... can just expect it to run *slow*.

Again: if someone is running a desktop on a non-Intel/AMD processor, maybe
isn't even running any Windows O.S. -- Ok, there's the Alpha, but maybe with
it there would be many more issues, other than timing, to run avrdude...

Lou