Re: [Axiom-developer] SVN problems

From: Ralf Hemmecke
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] SVN problems
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2006 00:07:35 +0200

However Tim did write:

I marked several hundred files as 'binary', including these
jpg files.

I am not sure if he was referring to CVS or SVN but obviously
these files should be marked correctly in both places. And your
test shows that this is done automatically by 'svn import' without
having to "mark" them. But I presume that Tim was trying to change
the binary attribute of files that were already in SVN with the
wrong attribute (having been copied from CVS). Perhaps to correct
this problem it is necessary to remove these files first and then
re-import them? Or to mark them properly in CVS and move them
again?

The CVS manual says

   The `-kb' option available with some CVS commands insures that
neither line ending conversion nor keyword expansion will be done.

   Here is an example of how you can create a new file using the `-kb'
flag:

     $ echo '$Id$' > kotest
     $ cvs add -kb -m"A test file" kotest
     $ cvs ci -m"First checkin; contains a keyword" kotest

   If a file accidentally gets added without `-kb', one can use the
`cvs admin' command to recover.  For example:

     $ echo '$Id$' > kotest
     $ cvs add -m"A test file" kotest
     $ cvs ci -m"First checkin; contains a keyword" kotest
     $ cvs admin -kb kotest
     $ cvs update -A kotest
     # For non-unix systems:
     # Copy in a good copy of the file from outside CVS
     $ cvs commit -m "make it binary" kotest

Let's hope that one can trust that.

Ralf