bibledit-general

[be] gitting problems

From: oreo.phil
Subject: [be] gitting problems
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2008 15:52:47 -0500

Hi Teus,

Sorry about not sending this to the right group. I am behind in all Bibledit issues because of my being in Indonesia for six weeks.

In our Papua office, I have a git repository set up on one of the workgroup machines. I thought it was working, but now I'm not sure it ever did fully.

Here's some of our problems:

  • On the repository machine, if I click Synchronize local data with repository, I get the error that "Can't merege the changes from the repository. fatal: Entry John/7/data would be overwritten by merge. Cannot merge." So is John7 the only thing I would lose if I synchronize with the other choice? (repository overwrites local data). In the end, instead of hitting "cancel," I did in fact choose the other choice, to get rid of this error.
  • Now when I start the program and check the git repository under preferences, everything turns green except the copy and synchronize setting. Is this normal? Do I need to choose something every time I check this?

  • On the other 5 machines in the workgroup, I have tried setting up BE in just one administrative account. I copied the .bibledit subdirectory from my repository machine into the home directory of the other machines, in one of the administrative accounts. I set up the permissions that the owner and the group "kita" have full write and delete permissions. Others have view permissions. On the administrative account of these machines, BE comes up and looks good. I can see book and chapter names, and everything loads fine. However the Git Setup always returns to the settings on the repository machine (from which I originally copied the data). If I change the git://localhost/repository to git://bahasakita-bk5.papua.idb.sil.org/repository, then everything works and looks like it is connecting to the repo. I choose Copy in the middle and "take server data" below. Everything is green. Before exiting the program, when checking git setup again, it says "To Do: Cant write to the repository" and it wants me to choose Copy or Sychronize again. Is this normal?
  • BUT if I exit the program, and start it again, oftentimes the setting goes back to what it was before: git://localhost...  OH! THIS time it didn't! Perhaps it was because I resolved the problem on the repository machine with John7?

  • On another account on the second machine in the work group, (a non-administrative account, but a member of "kita") I just brought over a link to the .bibledit folder in the administrative account on that machine. BE comes up and looks like it would work, but everything is blank. I can't get book names or chapters to show. The project that we are trying to share doesn't show, and the non-editable projects that are part of the database in the administrative account don't show. Obviously something is wrong with permissions. I can change the git setup as above, and it acts like it would work, turning icons green. But after I click OK, there still are no fonts. Does this mean that every single user will have to have a full .bibledit folder? My .bibledit folder is huge because I have so many editable and non-editable texts.
  • Also, another problem. When I changed permissions on folders, trying to free up the permissions so that the other accounts could read projects in the admin account, it seems to have changed most of my projects to be considered as editable projects. (This is when viewed back in the admin account.) So should I use BE to change them back to the right editable/non-edit status?

I would like to set up our workgroup to use Edubuntu and set up the six machines like a classroom, where five machines would just be slaves of the one machine. In this case, would it mean that we would still use git? Can you give us any information that will help us in that?

Thanks so much,
Phil