Re: Compiling with jikes > 1.13

From: Eric Blake
Subject: Re: Compiling with jikes > 1.13
Date: Sat, 09 Feb 2002 16:45:22 -0700

Mark Wielaard wrote:

> Yes, could you please also add a note in the INSTALL file about this
> version (were to get it and that the jikes developers recommend this
> version for compiling Classpath, etc, etc.)

OK, that will be my next patch.

> I can generate binaries for
> GNU/Linux x86 and powerpc if you want.

That would be nice, except that I only have CVS write access for jikes,
not access to the project web site, so I can't post any binaries or
tarballs.  The way I see it, if someone is willing to download
Classpath, it won't kill them to build their own version of jikes from
CVS.

> > Shall I go ahead and commit the patch?
>
> Yes please. But could you please explicitly mark these as "FIXME
> workaround for <compiler> bug" in the source code so we don't
> accidentially remove them again in the future (for example when we
> remerge with libgcj). And could you in the future please separate
> indentation formating from code change, that make the diffs easier to
> read.

The workarounds are committed, and separately from formatting changes.
By the way, in the source code I only commented about the method
inheritance workaround.  Adding a non-private constructor to private
inner classes is a good idea even if it weren't a compiler workaround,
since it results in less bytecode (the compiler would have had to
generate a synthetic non-private constructor anyways in addition to the
implicit private one).

--
This signature intentionally left boring.

Eric Blake             address@hidden
  BYU student, free software programmer