Re: java.lang.StrictMath

From: Bryce McKinlay
Subject: Re: java.lang.StrictMath
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 20:02:17 +1300

Tom Tromey wrote:

"Eric" == Eric Blake <address@hidden> writes:

Eric> StrictMath is required to be implemented in pure Java

How curious.
BTW, fdlibm is fine to use.  We already use it in libgcj.

Thanks for doing this.  Now all we have to do is implement strictfp in
gcj :-)

Do you have any examples of how GCC is *not* strictfp compliant (at least on common platforms)? My understanding is that, by default, it tries to be strictly IEEE 754. On x86 it will store values to memory and make a function call to do FP arithmetic, unless -ffast-math is given which allows it to do inline math using (the 80-bit x87) FP registers.

So, unless I misunderstand something and there is more to it, we should make -ffast-math the default for Java except where strictfp is encountered.

regards

Bryce