ddd

Re: how do you start up DDD?

From: David Clarke
Subject: Re: how do you start up DDD?
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 12:28:04 -0300

Thank you for your response.

In step 3 you said that did a "configure" and "make" but no "make install" after that.To install the compiled programs(ddd) you need to give the command "make install".
This will install the ddd binary in you /usr/local/bin.

Frustrating that the simple line

make install

wasn't included as a fourth line in the installation instructions on the DDD web page.

So I did this, more messages flew by the screen, and it seemed to finish successfully. Indeed, a ddd* does appear in my /usr/local/bin

Then, going to the directory in which the executable to be debugged resides, I have the following session:

mytikas 10> ddd xedit21
Error: No `Ddd' application defaults file
To resolve this problem, you can:
* set the XAPPLRESDIR environment variable to the location of the file `Ddd', or
* set the DDD_HOME environment variable to the location of `ddd/Ddd', or
* install the `Ddd' file in the X application defaults directory, or
* recompile DDD with builtin app-defaults file;
  see the `--enable-builtin-app-defaults' option for details.
mytikas 11>

and so I have replaced one gotcha for another! Alas, I don't understand *any* of the suggestions.

Can you tell me what I should do now?

Also to verify you ddd binary is build properly, after doing a make you can do a "make check".This creates a sample C++ program `cxxtest' and then runs DDD on it by invoking `./ddd cxxtest'.

Again, "make check" causes more things to flash by the screen then, when it tries to launch ./ddd cxxtest, I end up with the same error message as above.

Again, any suggestions you or others may have would be greatly appreciated. I am desperately seeking my first real "success" at downloading *something* useful to, what is quickly becoming, this "stupid mac"!

cheers, David

David A. Clarke                                                 address@hidden
Professor of Astronomy and Physics              (902) 420-5830
Institute for Computational Astrophysics                (902) 496-8218 (fax)
Saint Mary's University
http://www.ica.smu.ca/zeus3d
Halifax, NS, B3H 3C3