ddd

Re: how do you start up DDD?

From: Rocky Bernstein
Subject: Re: how do you start up DDD?
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 14:39:52 -0400

On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 2:19 PM, David Clarke <address@hidden> wrote:
Thank you address@hidden.  Wow, these comments are actually read by those who can make changes!!  Bravo!

So two things.

1.  I see you've changed "./configure; make" to "./configure && make".  What is the difference between the single semi-colon and the double ampersand, and should I start all over again with the &&?

a && b means do "b" only if "a" doesn't error out. So no, you don't have to redo.

2.  This still doesn't address the problems I have once I do the make install, namely error messages of the type:

mytikas 10> ddd xedit21
Error: No `Ddd' application defaults file
To resolve this problem, you can:
* set the XAPPLRESDIR environment variable to the location of the file `Ddd', or
* set the DDD_HOME environment variable to the location of `ddd/Ddd', or
* install the `Ddd' file in the X application defaults directory, or
* recompile DDD with builtin app-defaults file;
 see the `--enable-builtin-app-defaults' option for details.
mytikas 11>

unless that's what the && is supposed to fix.

 The error message above suggests 4 remedies. Try one of them. Given your level understanding of software development, my guess is the last recommendation will be the best for you.

I have since done "sudo port install ddd" and this seems to have installed ddd beyond the point where the make install on the download from http://www.gnu.org/software/ddd/ could get me, and I find there are numerous numerous bugs in the ddd I get to open up.   I have since e-mailed those to address@hidden , which I imagine you must have got.  Any suggestions to these would be greatly appreciated as well.  I am currently dead in the water for debugging (and thus any code development) on my mac.

Thanks!

Cheers, David.