Re: [Denemo-devel] Windows audio driver

From: Jeremiah Benham
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Windows audio driver
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 2009 09:04:32 -0600

On Dec 12, 2009, at 5:55 AM, Richard Shann <address@hidden> wrote:

On Sat, 2009-12-12 at 05:07 -0600, Jeremiah Benham wrote:
You have to have Jack selected as audio output in preferences.
this under the first tab first checkbutton Midi/Audio output? Not
fluidsynth tab Audio Driver checkbox?

No. The combobox labeled midi/audio output in the view tab. This probably does not belong here. It also does not save after restore settings when restarting denemo.

Then
you make sure Jack server is running. Then you will click start/
restart Jack under device manager tab. One device and port created
automatically for you. In staff properties choose the created device
under the midi tab. Then make sure denemorc
???

Denemo. Autospell did that and I missed it.

is connected to a
softsynth in qjackctl.

I haven't managed to get this to work.

Sometimes it works sometimes it does not. I have not found out why. I have just wired Jack to the device manager a few days ago.

But in any case I see a problem
in the code:

device_manager_refresh_model();

is called outside of the Change Prefs dialog (in jackmidi.c). The model
(actually a global variable called treestore) is only pointing at
something while the gtktree widget (a global called view) exists.

It think that call can just be deleted:

The variable treestore? Or do you mean the function. If the function does not refresh the tree when you open up the preferences the tree will not be seen. There is surely a better way rather then emptying and refilling the tree to refresh the display.

jack output uses the data from
Denemo.prefs.midi_device, not from the model the prefs are put into when
the prefs dialog is running.

device_port in DenemoStaff stores the selected string, which is a concatination of the device name and port name stored in Denemo.prefs.midi_device strucure, seperated by a "->". Export midi calls a function that does a string comparison between this string and midi_device data and returns a structure containing the device number and port nmber. If the comparison fails it returns -1 for each member. It should actually return NULL. This needs to be changed. I have not decided on what to do if NULL. We need to do nothing or select a default. If a user selects a staff output device name/port name then later renames them the string comparison will fail. When port names are changed we can search and change strings matching old combination in prefs.midi_device. This structure is stored in the user_pointer of smf.

There is also a call to this function in prefdialog.c: this should be
moved to the DeviceManager() function, (which could be renamed
NewDeviceManagerView() to make it clearer that it is returning a view on
the devices stored in Denemo.Prefs).

Ok. I will do this.

I hope I am understanding this aright.

It sounds like you do.