Re: [Denemo-devel] Modifying Denemo.ttf

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Modifying Denemo.ttf
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2011 21:57:02 +0100

On Wed, 2011-07-27 at 11:11 -0500, Jeremiah Benham wrote:
> If you like i can do the fontforge thing. Just let me know exactly what you
> want done.

Thanks. I think I have worked out what could be done. First if you look
at the two screenshots of the directives menu (attached) you can see the
effect I am after in the label to the Metronome marking command. The 1/4
notes are bolder, more readable in the flow of the text (at the expense
of being a proportionate shape such as you would want to see in a piece
of music). Basically, I have expanded the size as much as possible
without causing the whole font to increase in size, and increased the
notehead over the stem. (If you just scale the note up, once you go too
high all the menu items start moving apart, as if you had selected a
larger typeface).
So, my procedure was to
take /usr/share/fonts/truetype/freefont/FreeSans.ttf
and use fontforge merge to merge in FreeSerif.ttf which is the one with
the musical symbols. Then I changed the shape of the quarter note and
changed the name of the font to Denemo and did generate fonts to the
Denemo.ttf

Denemo itself needs changes so that it expects this new font, these are
mostly trivial, but the difficult bit I have sorted out and have the
code ready and working.

If you are up for altering the music glyphs so they work in labels that
would be great. I have a font with the 1/4 note you see, so it would be
quicker to start from that. It is 1.3Mb - how to send it?

Richard