Re: [Denemo-devel] midi input weirdness

From: Jeremiah Benham
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] midi input weirdness
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2014 09:41:42 -0500

I may be a bit confused. I thought this was all dependant upon how the modwheel is set on the midi controller. When I do midi input I put the modwheel half way if I was in the key of c and then move it up if I start to see flats when sharps are expected and visa versa. I was not sure if that is how it is supposed to work but I think I remember Richard talking about this once so I tried it and it worked.

Jeremiah

On Mar 23, 2014 9:16 AM, "Richard Shann" <address@hidden> wrote:
On Sun, 2014-03-23 at 09:24 -0400, Bric wrote:
> sorry about the top-post:  it's because I will need to re-read this a
> couple of times.  The first objection that immediately comes to mind
> is:  Yes, I understand the sophisticated, clever, and useful algorithm
> behind this now... but why in the world should it notate my B natural as
> "C-flat", when my key signature is C  ??
>
> Like i said: you don't need to respond right away,

but I will :)
my guess is that at some point a very flat key signature was set (while
using the educational game?). I don't recall the circumstances when it
adjusts the range of sharps and flats for you, but generally programs
changing things on your behalf are a nuisance, so it is quite
conservative.

>  I will re-read it and
> explore and try to adjust my settings, such that it writes my b naturals
> as plain, unaugmented, undiminished B's ! (particularly in the keys
> where the B is just that)

This isn't a question of "settings" - it's not a preference. For each
piece you need to set the  range (E-b to G-# or D-# to A-b) and then
adjust it if the piece strays into more remote keys. It does do some
sensible default if you start a new piece, but as you have found, if you
then change what you are doing it may no longer be sensible.
(Oh! and it *does* remember the last range you used for a given piece,
so when you reload a piece in E-major it doesn't carry on using E-flat
for D-sharp).