Re: [Denemo-devel] Import filter for CapXML

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Import filter for CapXML
Date: Fri, 03 Apr 2015 10:09:12 +0100

On Fri, 2015-04-03 at 00:13 +0200, Andreas Schneider wrote:
> How difficult and time-consuming would be

That depends on so many things - I did the current MusicXML importer and
it took me days of work, but MusicXML is an extremely obfuscated
representation of a music score due to its basic design which highly
MIDI influenced.

>  the implementation of a
> (basic) import filter for the CapXML format defined in the attachement?

Did you see

http://bjungmann.privat.t-online.de/CapXMLSkripte.htm

it offers CapXML to MusicXML conversion, and Denemo does import
MusicXML...

> I importing a score to Denemo from that format, and via MIDI it takes me
> a few hours per movement to get everything correct, so if I would save
> time by implementing the direct import, I'd be willing to do it if you
> give me some starting help.

Which programming languages are you familiar with? It makes a big
difference - e.g. if you are familiar with python then the python script
which you get from the above link could be adapted to output Denemo's
Scheme (which is how Denemo's musicXML import is done). I used the
libxml2 library to import MusicXML and then output the Denemo Scheme
using C, but that is just because I have written a lot of C in my time.

Richard